Grand Challenges Explorations Round 11 open ($ 1,000,000)
The Grand Challenges in Global Health initiative invites applications for Round 11 of its Grand Challenges Explorations grant (GCE). The closing date is May 7, 2013. Phase I grants of $ 100,000 will be awarded with an opportunity for successful projects to receive a follow-on Phase II grant of $ 1,000,000.
Topics for Grand Challenges Explorations Round 11 are:
• The "One Health" Concept: Bringing Together Human and Animal Health for New Solutions;
• Increasing Interoperability of Social Good Data;
• Develop the Next Generation of Condom;
• New Approaches for Detection, Treatment, and Control of Selected Neglected Tropical Diseases;
• Labor Saving Strategies and Innovations for Women Smallholder Farmers.
GCE supports hundreds of early-stage research projects – including many ideas that have never before been tested – and scientists from a wide range of disciplines and regions. The Explorations initiative funds innovative ideas that could lead to new vaccines, diagnostics, drugs, and other technologies targeting diseases that claim millions of lives every year. GCE is an extension of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s commitment to the Grand Challenges in Global Health, which was launched in 2003 to accelerate the discovery of new technologies to improve global health.